Wednesday 14 May 2008

The flight from hell - a traveler's worst nightmare

If there ever was a contest for people who get to sit with worst possible travel mates while flying, I will win the first three positions in that contest, without doubt. On a recent trip to Quetta, I specifically asked for a window seat while checking in. I had not slept the night before and was looking forward for some shut-eye. When I boarded the plane, the gentleman sitting next to my seat looked like the heavy weight version of Hamid Karzai. He was about 188 cms, must have weighed over 300 lbs and with his Karzai like silk robe (in mustard colour) and huge headgear, there hardly was any room left in the adjacent seat for me, or anyone else for that matter. Seeing me trying to fit in that space, my colleague offered to swap seats with me. I readily agreed, which later proved to be one of the gravest mistakes of my life. 

The seats next to mine were empty and I sent a little prayer asking God to let them remain vacant for the next hour and half, but with my luck, it was a given that I would not be spared. Within minutes, a young family of 4 occupied the two seats next to mine. There was a dad, with his son who was about 17-18 months old in another while the mother and her loud 3 years old daughter who tore a copy of Hamsafar, PIA’s in flight magazine, into smithereens within minutes, settled in next to me. I opened my copy of Morgan Spurlock’s “Where in the world is Osama Bin Laden?” that I bought from the airport bookshop. The minute that little girl saw the book, she wanted it. The mother had the audacity to ask me if I will hand my book to her daughter. Seeing what happened to the magazine, I had to be a total nut to hand that kid my book. I politely refused saying that I am reading and cannot give it to her. I then asked the flight attendant if I can change my seat but apparently, the plane was packed and there was not a single vacant seat available and I did not have the nerve to inflict my fellow passengers on anyone else.
Before the take off, the flight attendant came and asked them to split for safety reasons. There were four seats in the row and five oxygen masks, the flight attendant tried his level best to convince them to change seats because the passengers safety is his concern and in case any emergency, there will not be sufficient number of oxygen masks for the people sitting in that particular row. The woman first said that nothing will happen in a 75 minutes flight, when the flight attendant persisted that they must do what they are told, the husband left the seat with the boy and I sighed with relief, but it was extremely short-lived. The little girl started crying for her daddy and the daddy started placating the daughter from the other aisle at the top of his lungs. To tune out their combined commotion, I took my iPod out and started listening to the music. The minute that girl saw my iPod, she stopped bawling and started smiling at me. I ignored. She again said something to me and I decided to keep ignoring her, after all I had the perfect excuse. My ears were plugged in. 


When mummy dearest thought her daughter was being ignored by a fellow passenger, she shook my shoulder and mouthed, “meri beti aap se kuch kehna chah rahee hai.” I had to take my ear phones out and asked her what happened. She asked if I can lend her my ipod as her daughter wanted to listen to music. Aghast that I was at the mother’s cheek, I said that it is not only rude to ask someone for their personal item, it is also unhygienic; I could have had an ear infection, would she expose her daughter to that? She looked at me for a few seconds and then told her daughter, “beta baaji ki music naheen lena, baji ke kaan kharab hain.”
Although my ears were in perfect condition (I did hear her remark despite wearing ear bugs after all ) I decided not to respond to it. 


When the crew served the food, that little girl threw salt, pepper and sugar all over the place. As I am allergic to pepper, I started sneezing like crazy. When I asked the mother – as politely as I could – to control her wild child, she said, “Array bhai bachi hai, isko main kya kahoon.” I asked for a wet towel with which I covered my nose to stop sneezing. She then started screaming for coke and the mother started calling the steward as array bhai zara bachi ko coke tau day dain. The steward was at the other end of the aisle attending to other passengers but the mother couldn’t wait that long. The woman who was sitting on the other side of the disastrous mother daughter duo had to call another steward to shut them up. 


To add insult to the injury, the last 20 minutes of the flight were as turbulent as any flight which eventually lands on ground can be. When I landed in Quetta, I resolved not to board another plane in my lifetime which did not even last for two days as I had to get back home. 


If anyone here thinks that I could not have topped this mother daughter duo, they are so very wrong. On my way back, I sat with an aunty ji who told me her life history, including the fact that she had her first orgasm at the ripe old age of 51 when she divorced her first husband and married her stud of a second husband. She also pointed out that the first husband was a 'Muhajir' and the second husband was a 'Punjabi', perhaps implying that Muhajir men are less conversant in the ways of loving a woman properly. As I am neither a muhajir man nor a Punjabi one, I decided not to take offense or pride in it and feigned yawns. At least the aunty was decent enough not to pursue with her tales of belatedly found orgasmic delights and left me in peace.


Can anyone top that???


.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

"tales of belatedly found orgasmic delights"

Zeen,
thats a gem of a line, LMAO, just cant get over it. I can sooo picture your blank stares and fake yawns.

Me said...

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha
ROFLMAO!!!!

oh btw! WOMAN!!! e-mails keep bouncing back from ur address@alumni.manchester...

I want to use this as an eventual sketch! can I?

Tazeen said...

//I want to use this as an eventual sketch! can I? //


Oh by all means, as long as I get the credit and see my name at the end of it, use it and tell me where will it be broadcast or telecast or whatever. the narcissist moi will be very very happy

Kamran said...

You had the choice of upstaging those nuts but perhaps, chose to bear and grin like most shareef ppl do.

On second thoughts, wonder if the orgasm-experienced aunty did really know what she was talking about? Incensed Muhajirs might want to explore the claim:)

Anonymous said...

zooni, I read your piece at work, first thing in the morning and jeez cudn't have started my day on a better note. if i were you, i would have atlest pulled that monster's ears or pinched her with a smile on my face. what a nerve yar.and that aunty ...you shud have asked the reason for such a late bloom or i must say jawani, that itself wud have shut her up ...whats new though..luv ..naheed

Anonymous said...

Tazeen
you sure have the weirdo magnet. How do you find them?

Anonymous said...

ROTFL!!!................... :D

Anonymous said...

Ok after reading this, I relaized what happened to me was nothing when an Aunty asked me to marry her extremely good looking son cuz she want a nice mahajir bahu. She thought I was nice, it was a disguise.
I couldnt stop smiling so broad reading about orgasm at ripe old age of 51. My mates must be thnkng me crazy hehehe. TJ start writing travelogues:)

Tazeen said...

Yaar had hotee hai,

everyone is laughing their asses off. No one offered commiserations or condoled me on my sheer bad luck.


I wish i had been lucky like zardari or shoaib akhtar

Anonymous said...

Taz,

you gotta write a second blog, in detail about aunty's orgasmic experiences and how she based the muhajir vs punjabi performance. After all, people here can offence, naheen?

Anonymous said...

You're funny. Really funny :)

Anonymous said...

LOL! oh the horrors Tez!!

Reading about the trial and tribulations of flying in Pakistan, the atypical crying kid to the rather shocking, and somewhat perturbing sharing of TMI by an auntie, made me laugh out loud... I mean it's funny to read, but not funny when picturing self in situations like that...

I feel for ya...

Anonymous said...

After all, people here can offence, naheen?

Not really... For example, as far as I am concerned, I am not offended...

Tez,

BTW, was the auntie conversing in Urdu? If so, mmmm, I am rather embarrassed to ask, but ummmm, what's the Urdu word for orgasm?

Tazeen said...

zoobee,

I have researched it in the past as well, their is no literal Urdu translation for orgasm and fyi, aunty ji did converse in English with me but did not use the word. She went quite lyrical about her new husband and how good he is and so on ....

The funny thing is, she was sitting in the middle and when she stared her tirade and the man sitting on the other side left, embarrassed that he was, she said ke bechara sharma gaya ... is liye uth ke chala gaya.

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha
hahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahaha



Taz,
you outdid yourself, it is sooooooooooo funny, i cant stop laughing.
I wish someone was making a video of you and your expressions.

Guru said...

An amazing writer you are who sketch the picture with her words in a perfect manner.
Really impressive and the Billary article is superb

Faisal.K said...

jeeez

i hate people who cannot control their kids in close quarters... feel sorry for u taz to have undergone this.

The aunty bit is a bit too much 2.how dare she claim muhajir men are not skilled enough!!! why if i was 60 yrs old i would've...

Anonymous said...

Tazeen, you did not take offense because you too have a thing for Punjabis, go on, admit it.

Tazeen said...

Haider,

Is that you, Askari?

I can only take the 'Punjabi fetish' remark from Askari.
In reality, I discriminate indiscriminately.

Anonymous said...

God,

the kid was not to be blamed, she was raised by morons who should have been neutered at puberty. It is the mother who shold have been thrown out of the aircraft.

and the less said about the aunty, the better.

Anonymous said...

Tazmania,

beta baji ke kaan kharab hain

the mother should have thanked her lucky stars ke baji ke sirf kaan kharab thay dimagh ya zubaan naheen, warna tau scene ho jata

Anonymous said...

How dare aunty ji cast doubts on the mojo of Mojos.

Anonymous said...

"beta baji ke kaan kharab hain"

If I were you, I would have definitely enjoyed that comment. You are a lucky soul , so much is happening around you.

Anonymous said...

Being a mohajir man and about to get married, can you fill me in how should I be doing it when the time comes :)

Tazeen said...

Asad,

mojo of mojos was indeed funny.

Han Solo,

you think my life is exciting, lets trade lives, shall we.

PostMan said...

"I have researched it in the past as well, their is no literal Urdu translation for orgasm"

How about 'Intahaa e Seher'?

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your ordeal, but that was one of the best posts I've read in a while.

Besides flying "pia", I've had the misfortune to travel in Pakistan's land-based transport and you can imagine how bad those experiences can be if air travel is so traumatic.

Anonymous said...

Living in Khi itself is an exciting idea for me personally but then there are always if/else in life. My life is very boring. I have been working from home for last 5 months(from Vancouver, work in California). Never thought it would drain me so much ....

Tazeen said...

Oh working from home is a killer. If i had to do this, i would be depressed all the time.

Majaz said...

I was one of those people who thought kids are the WORST people to fly on airplanes. I HATE crying kids on airplanes. Moreover I HATE parents who LET their kids go nuts on airplanes.

When I found out I was gonna be a mom, I secretly wondered if I was going to be one of those crazy parents.

I can happily say that I've had little J in tow across three countries and four cities and not only has he been a little trouper I know exactly where my boundaries are. I can't for the life of me imagine someone asking for someone ELSE's iPod for their own kid! Absolutely crazy! And I know that even though my kid's legs are out of control of the tiny boundary of my own seat, he CANNOT pounce them all over someone else, it's not the other person's fault that I'm traveling with a child.

So if you're somehow wondering if parents CAN actually help their kids be less of a menace, the answer is yes, they can.

Aho.